The Grand Moulin of Arenberg (Big Mill) and the Museum of Porphyry

Rebecq

Complexe des Moulins d'ArenbergMusée du Porphyre 2Musée du Porphyre 4Moulins d'Arenberg

Description

Now converted into a cultural and tourism centre, the Mills of the Dukes of Arenberg were built in the late 14th century on the banks of the Senne. The main watermill today includes impressive machinery (powered by a paddle wheel 7.5m in diameter), the Porphyry Museum and temporary exhibitions. As well as talking about these paving stones known all over the world as ‘Belgian blocks’, we look back at the history of porphyry, the Quenast quarries and the hard labour of the ‘Cayoteux’, the name given to the quarry workers. Among other things you can learn about the different types of stone and the tools used at the time.

Visit language : French, Dutch

Opening

Open all year round to groups for tours on reservation.

In summer, individual themed tours are possible (families, small groups)

Prices

Adult : €2,50

Equipments and Services on site

  • Auditorium
  • Parking
  • Coach park

Location

Rue Docteur Colson, 8
1430 Rebecq

Tel. +3267287811

info@rebecq.be

www.rebecq.be