By car and motorbike

Reset filters
Types of practices
Difficulty
Distance
Duration
Les joyaux romans du Brabant Wallon...
blur-effect
Porte de Saintes
Eglise des Récollets
Eglise des Récollets
Eglise des Récollets 1
Collégiale Sainte-Gertrude - sous-sol archéologique
Collégiale Sainte-Gertrude - extérieure en entier
Collégiale Sainte-Gertrude - clocher
Collegiale Sainte-Gertrude Intérieur
Collegiale Sainte-Gertrude crypte
Collegiale Sainte-Gertrude Cloitre
L'église Sainte-Marguerite
Chapelle Saint-Jean-Baptiste
L'Arbre de Promelles
Château de Thy
Chapelle Ste Barbe
ND à l'enfant
Chapelle Saint Hubert
Tumuli de Libersart
Les Tumuli de Libersart
Tumuli de Libersart
Ferme de Mellemont
00006060-Commune incourt-Wallonie insolite - Tumulus de Glimes
Etang de la Ramée 1
Etang de la Ramée 2
Grotte-chapelle Ramée
L'Abbaye de la Ramée
L'Abbaye de la Ramée entrée
L'Abbaye de la Ramée - la cour et la grange
Sentes d'Orp-Jauche
Église des Saints-Martin-et-Adèle © MTBW (7)
Château Pastur
Eglise Saint-Médard
First wing (41)
First wing (15)
First wing (72)
First wing (5)
First Wing

Les joyaux romans du Brabant Wallon...

Credit : /

Discover the Roman gems of Walloon Brabant on this driving route!

Further information

Signalétique (EN)

No signage

Car tour
Medium
140 km
920 m
-922 m
Styles : BaladeDiscoveryRoadtrip
Theme : Patrimony
Select background map

IGN MAP

IGN MAP

AERIAL PHOTOS / IGN

AERIAL PHOTOS / IGN

MULTI-SCALE MAPS / IGN

MULTI-SCALE MAPS / IGN

TOP 25 IGN

TOP 25 IGN

SLOPE MAP (IGN PLAN)

SLOPE MAP (IGN PLAN)

CADASTRAL PARCELS

CADASTRAL PARCELS

ICAO AERONAUTICAL CHARTS

ICAO AERONAUTICAL CHARTS

MAP 1950 / IGN

MAP 1950 / IGN

MAP OF THE GENERAL STAFF (1820-1866)

MAP OF THE GENERAL STAFF (1820-1866)

COASTAL MAPS / SHOM/IGN

COASTAL MAPS / SHOM/IGN

SCAN EXPRESS STANDARD / IGN

SCAN EXPRESS STANDARD / IGN

CLASSIC EXPRESS SCAN / IGN

CLASSIC EXPRESS SCAN / IGN

OPEN STREET MAP

OPEN STREET MAP

GOOGLE MAP - SATELLITE

GOOGLE MAP - SATELLITE

GOOGLE MAP - MAP

GOOGLE MAP - MAP

GOOGLE MAP - HYBRID

GOOGLE MAP - HYBRID

IGN BELGIUM

IGN BELGIUM
Nearby tours
Nearby of points of interest

Starting point

33 Rue de Saintes
1400 Nivelles
Lat : 50.59585Lng : 4.32636
Poi picture

Porte de Saintes

48 Rue de Saintes 1400 Nivelles
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

The Récollets Church

The single-nave church of the Récollets in Nivelles in Walloon Brabant, also called SS Jean and Nicolas, will impress you with its architecture and history. In fact, it is the church of a convent of Franciscan monks which was attached to it. Taken together, it constitutes the only monastery complex preserved in Nivelles, and is also one of the rare examples of Franciscan architecture extant in our regions. The Récollets Church is part of a remarkable architectural complex built from 1524 onwards using funding provided by Charles V and his aunt Margaret of Austria. According to her wish, the monks – who were established in Nivelles 20 years after the death of Saint Francis of Assisi (1226) – were attached to the branch of the 'Friars Minor Récollets' (Frères mineurs récollets), who lived in an austere and retired way. After the disturbances and demolitions of the 1580s, the church was rebuilt and experienced a long period of prosperity and an incontestable spiritual radiance until the end of the 18th century. Since the departure of the last monks at the beginning of the 19th century, the building was allocated for a variety of uses: hospital, hospice, Royal secondary school and courthouse. The process of listing the monastery buildings is underway. The church, which is heritage-listed, was restored for worship in 1960 and its restoration was completed in 1972. The play of colours of the blue and white stones highlights the great simplicity of the edifice, typical of the Brabant Late Gothic style. The soaring bays and powerful buttresses elegantly punctuate the single nave of this vast sanctuary. The only decorative feature is the Flamboyant Gothic style tracery that adorns the tops of the windows. The interior space, profound and luminous, leaves an impression of soberness and vertical élan. The keystone of the choir is adorned with an escutcheon with the arms of Charles V. A bay in the south side wall houses the reconstruction of the shrine of Saint Marie d'Oignies.

34 Rue de Charleroi 1400 Nivelles
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Collegiate Church of Sainte-Gertrude

The St. Gertrude Collegiate Church is the pride and joy of Nivelles, with its impressive 102m nave with two opposing choirs and its 11th century crypt. This is one of the largest Romanesque churches in the world, an exceptionally handsome, grandiose monument that was consecrated in 1046 by Wazon, Bishop of Liege, before Henry III Emperor of the Holy German Empire.The Collegiate Church is still in use, regularly assembling Christians from the St. Gertrude Parish.You can also visit the crypt, the archaeological basement, the cloister and the central steeple that houses the bells and carillon.The southern turret boasts the Jean de Nivelles jacquemart, a copper warrior some 2.08 m high.The Nivelles Collegiate Church is a must-see. Don't miss it!

Grand'Place 1400 Nivelles
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

L'église Sainte-Marguerite

2-4 Rue des Ecoles 1400 Nivelles
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Chapelle Saint-Jean-Baptiste

20 Chemin de la Cense Brûlée 1472 Vieux-Genappe
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

L'Arbre de Promelles

14 Chemin de Messe 1472 Vieux-Genappe
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Château de Thy

4-8 Rue de Thy 1470 Genappe
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Chapelle Ste Barbe

1-9 Rue du Château 1470 Genappe
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

ND à l'enfant

Rue du Point du Jour 1470 Genappe
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Chapelle Saint Hubert

4 Rue Monceau du Berger 1470 Genappe
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Les Tumuli de Libersart

102 Rue de Libersart 1457 Tourinnes-Saint-Lambert
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Tumuli de Libersart

Chapelle Daix 1457 Walhain-Saint-Paul
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Ferme de Mellemont

Rue de Mellemont 1360 Perwez
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Le Tumulus de Glimes

Belgium’s tallest Gallo-Roman tumulus has had protected heritage status since 1971. It stands at 15 metres tall with a diameter of 52 metres and dates back to the 2nd century. It was probably the tomb of a rich landowner and was placed along an important Roman road. In the past, communal festivals would have been celebrated on the peak and some events still take place today at its foot. For example, Gallo-Roman Days are held there at the end of May and feature many activities including a gladiator combat performance.

14 Rue de la Tombe Romaine 1315 Incourt
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Ramée Abbey

A protected site on Wallonia’s exceptional heritage list, you cannot miss the impressive site of the old La Ramée Abbey. It is remarkably well preserved and serves as a reminder of the region’s farming architecture. Its spectacular barn (from 1722) is believed to be the biggest in the country! The exceptional size of this building, designed to store harvests, shows the extent of the land belonging to the ecclesiastical institution.La Ramée Abbey is today used to host events, receptions and seminars.It also has a fruiticum where more than 350 species of endangered plants are protected.The property is privately owned.

23 Rue de l'Abbaye 1370 Jodoigne
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Sentes d'Orp-Jauche

1 Place Joseph Gregoire 1350 Orp-le-Grand
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Saint-Martin-et-Adèle church in Orp-le-Grand

Saints Martin and Adèle church is impressive due to its huge size and the brightness of the Orp stone. It is listed among ‘Walloon Brabant’s Roman heritage’. Along with the Collegiate Church of Saint Gertrude in Nivelles and Bertem church, it is one of the most representative and comprehensive sanctuaries of Roman art in Brabant. It was actually the abbess Gertrude of Nivelles who sent Adèle to set up a monastery in Orp.

Place du Xle Dragon Français 1350 Orp-Jauche
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Pastur Castle

Pastur Castle also goes by another name: Castle of the Count.This is because the castle was the residence of the Counts of Duras from the 11th century. At the time it was just a small fortification set on a rock flanked by the Gette river and Saint Jean stream.This location provided excellent natural defences.In the 15th century the castle had already become a kind of seigneurial farmhouse and underwent several developments during the early decades of the 16th century. In 1730 the count of Romrée commissioned transformations that gave the castle its current classical style. Stables were built (the current Barouche Room) with the walls and impressive double ogival windows, dating back to the Gothic era and lasting to this day, bearing testament to the building’s history.The castle has been listed as a historic monument since 1971 and takes its name from the notary Philippe Pastur who was the owner in the 19th century.For a time the castle was used as boarding for the school of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart and the management of a school. Today it houses Jodoigne town hall as well as the public library and toy library.

13 Rue du Château 1370 Jodoigne
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

Saint-Médard church

The current Saint Médard’s church in Jodoigne, dating from the 13th century, is a listed building and justifiably recognised as a jewel of Walloon Brabant. This large Roman and Gothic style building, listed as exceptional heritage of Wallonia, was restored to its original splendour in the 1970s.This church was built near the former church, which was bequeathed to the Order of the Hospital in 1180 by Gilles de Duras, and close to a former Gallic religious site.As soon as you enter, the hot and white Gobertange limestone gives the building its glow. From the wide transept, the eye is drawn to the semi-circular apse and simple polychrome statues, including one of the patron saint, Médard, an evangelist bishop born in 457, who had a reputation as a ‘rain maker’. If you stare at the statue of the saint you get the impression that he is smiling at you.

72 Rue Saint Médard 1370 Jodoigne
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Poi picture

First Wing

Rue Longue 1320 Beauvechain
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
- Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon -
Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon Author
1 Place du Brabant wallon
1300 Wavre (Belgique)